When the chakras are balanced, the entire person thrives; the mind, body, and spirit are aligned, and balance is restored. One of the most effective and popular ways to restore balance and harmony is through chakra massage. Unlike other forms of massage, such as sports massage or deep tissue massage, this type of massage goes beyond the physical level of the body. It incorporates subtle energy work that complements the physical benefits and also brings important healing to the spiritual aspect of the person. A good chakra massage treats the whole person, not just their physical body.
What is Chakra Massage?
A chakra massage targets the areas around the seven chakras, or energy centers, of the body. These are as follows:
- The root chakra, which is located at the base of the spine and associated with our basic needs of food, shelter, and security.
- The sacral chakra is located below the naval and associated with pleasure, sexuality, and emotion.
- The solar plexus chakra, located in the center of the abdomen and associated with power, intention, and desire.
- The heart chakra, located at the heart and associated with love and empathy.
- The throat chakra, located in the throat and associated with creativity and self-expression.
- The third eye chakra, located in the forehead, above and between the eyes, and associated with intuition, perception, and belief.
- The crown chakra is located at the top of the crown and associated with spirituality and the world beyond the physical that we are all connected to.
Each of these chakras is also closely linked to the health and function of the organs, muscles, and other aspects of the physical body. For example, the heart chakra is associated with empathy and love, but it is also associated with the physical heart and the cardiovascular system.
Chakra massage involves stimulating the chakra points and the surrounding areas using the hands. A Reiki practitioner or chakra massage specialist will use their own energy to cleanse the chakras of blockages or congestion and encourage the healthy flow of life energy, or chi, through these crucial energy points. While experiencing a chakra massage, the participant may be invited to focus in on the sensations within the body while the massage is taking place. This can help to draw attention to areas that need more work, and this, in turn, can help to provide insight into any underlying unbalance that may be causing physical, emotional, or spiritual unbalance within the person.
The Best Oils for Massage
Each chakra has different colors and substances associated with it. One of the most powerful ways that a chakra massage can take these important elements into consideration is through the use of precious oils during the massage. If a particular chakra is believed to be out of balance or blocked, then an oil that corresponds to this chakra can be used to further the effect of the massage. The scent and sensation of the oil provide another focal point and stimulus for the participant. For example, neroli oil is an essential oil that is considered to be extremely effective for the sacral chakra. This oil can be added to a carrier oil of the masseur’s choice and used to further the effects of a massage that targets this chakra. Of course, oils should be used with care, and appropriate carrier oils should always be used.
Some people may also use crystals to further the effects of the chakra massage. Certain crystals are linked by association with different chakras. For example, rose quartz is associated with the heart chakra. Someone experiencing grief or ‘heartbreak’ may benefit from a chakra massage using elements that are connected to the health of the heart chakra, and so rose quartz could be placed on or near the body as part of the chakra massage.
Why Choose Chakra Massage?
- Chakra healing is a powerful ancient practice. The system of Ayurveda that chakra massage has evolved from is over 5000 years old. This system links the conscious mind with the body and the spirit and has been used as a system for healing and restoring balance and wellbeing through many generations and across many cultures.
- It is pain-free and harmless. Any massage will bring a sense of calm, help the blood to flow, and ease aching muscles to relieve stress and boost the sense of wellbeing. Chakra massage goes further than this, but even if you are skeptical, you can rest assured that there is no harm caused. It is a restful, relaxing, and painless experience.
- Chakra Massage encourages mindfulness. While you have a chakra massage, you have an opportunity to become peaceful and still and focus in on your body and the sensations within it. This is a very valuable opportunity to develop the practice of mindfulness which is a proven method of managing stress and anxiety and improving wellness.
Chakra massage is an enjoyable and fulfilling experience that can boost health, wellbeing, and spiritual fulfillment. Before you have a chakra massage, it makes sense to discuss your health and emotional state with the person who is potentially going to be giving the massage. This will enable you to fully understand what is involved in the massage and also give the practitioner some idea of what issues you might like to focus on or any problems that you would like to have resolved. The practitioner can give you advice on how you can get the very most out of any massage. It may be useful to engage in some focused meditation before and after the massage as this might enable you to focus the intention of the energy work on the areas that really need it most.